Dandelions Close-up

Dandelions Close-up
Dandelions In Black And White

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Editorial Photography

November 27, 2011


Years ago I did a lot of editorial/street photography.  I still enjoy shooting on the street, getting that fleeting image that just happens.  The key to fast action photography is just doing it.  Getting your timing down.  Knowing your camera and having it as an extension of your eye.  I used to preset my camera at the fastest shutter speed I could use.  You can't use a tripod when shooting fast paced action during protests or dramas being played out in a split second and with people moving in and out of your frame constantly. My shutter speed was set at 1/250 or higher depending on lighting conditions.  Yes, sometimes I would be pushing my film up to 1600ASA to get that faster shutter speed.  I would set my Aperture at f/5.6.  With this as a base, I could adjust my exposures up or down and still be able to stop motion and get the subject in focus.  Serendipity plays such a big role in street photography.  You have to be aware of your surroundings and see a possible image developing before it appears.  Your eye/finger coordination only improves with practice.  And when you get a photo that no one else will ever get because you were quick to see the potential, that is a good feeling.








No comments:

Post a Comment