Dandelions Close-up

Dandelions Close-up
Dandelions In Black And White

Sunday, August 25, 2013

August 25, 2013


I have often wondered about the camera being a crutch to suspend fear when shooting subjects that are intense.  We lift the camera to our eye, meter, compose and shoot.  All the while there is an activity happening in front of us but the camera is a filter, a barrier that allows us to remain objective and not to think too much on the drama unfolding before us.  We are in a sense, disconnected from the reality we are photographing.  The scene becomes more manageable this way and we have what seems like more time to reflect and act as if a play were being performed and we are in the audience.

I was up in a small airplane last week and was photographing aerial images around Seattle. In order to shoot photos from this airplane we had to open the canopy 8 to 12 inches while in flight.  The big question was, would the air current push the canopy open more and expose us to real air turbulence and an early landing?

When shooting from a small aircraft I shoot at the fastest shutter speed possible.  In this case, I pushed my ASA and made images using a shutter speed of 1/1000 of a second.  I used a 105mm and 50mm lens with hoods.  This cuts down on side glare as the sun sets.  I kept my arms and hands away from touching any part of the plane to cut down on vibrations that could blur my images.  My pilot was great and did a good job turning the plane so I had a better angle to make images of my chosen subjects.  One of the hardest things was keeping the right distance from the opening and sides of the canopy.  Too close to the opening I had wind turbulence, too far away and I had the canopy edges cutting into my frame.  It took awhile for me to get in a groove and maintain a good shooting distance.

I started off talking about the camera as a barrier from experiencing a intense situation.  I do not like to fly!  Having the camera in this case wasn't as much a barrier but a mechanism that allowed me to remain objective and focus on my composition and exposure.  I still experienced the fear and excitement of the flight, but because I was shooting, I was able to enjoy the moment without over thinking of my fears.  If the camera ever became such a crutch that it didn't allow me to experience  the real world I was photographing live, I wouldn't pick up the camera at all.









No comments:

Post a Comment